Educational Qualification : M.E.,Ph.D.
Teaching Experience : 20 Years
Industry Experience : Nil
The Food Technology programme aimed to serve the special need of providing high-quality manpower for the growing modern food industry. Recent years, Food Industry sector is one of the most fundamental and critical sectors in the growing economy.
The Department of Food Technology was established in 2018 which offers a UG programme (B.Tech) in Food Technology. The department integrates intellectual and infrastructural strengths to nurture scientific temper and skills to excel in the domains Food Technology. The department aims to educate, train and develop cutting-edge food technologists capable of product development and food safety to improve the quality of human life and environment. Also, the department aims to develop competent food technologists with their skills adequately honed to succeed in the Food Industry sectors.
We believe that this approach to teaching-learning, coupled with practical experience gained during industrial training in reputed organizations, equips our students to handle the challenges posed by the Food Industry.
Vision & Mission
Programs Outcomes & Objective
Program Educational Objectives describe the career and professional accomplishments in five years after graduation that the program is preparing graduates to achieve.
- To develop graduates with sound knowledge in the field of food engineering and technology by integrating engineering and basic sciences
- To produce competent graduates who shall pursue careers in the field of food processing, quality control, product development and techno-marketing
- To inculcate innovative ideas and project management skills in order to make them capable of growing into entrepreneurs
- To prepare graduates who will apply the technical knowledge and know-how to solve the problems related to food processing and preservation for the benefit of the society
Program Outcome describe the knowledge, skills and attitudes the students should have at the end of a four year engineering program.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design / Development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods, including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling of complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions to societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes are statements that describe what the graduates of a specific engineering program should be able to do.
- To apply the knowledge of food chemistry, food preservation, food-processing and food packaging for the effective utilization of agricultural commodities to develop healthy and nutritious foods
- To apply the knowledge of food technology principles from the various aspects of food technology and related disciplines to solve practical and real-world problems
- To design economically feasible equipment for the modernization of traditional food processing methods
List of Laboratory
Bio-Food Practices Laboratory
Food microbiology laboratory
Food chemistry and nutrition laboratory
Food analysis laboratory
Unit operations laboratory
Food processing and preservation laboratory
Biochemical engineering laboratory
Fruits and vegetable processing technology laboratory
Baking and confectionary technology laboratory
Testing of packaging materials laboratory
Dairy process technology laboratory
Additional Labs for Advanced Learning
Technical Analysis lab
Value Added Courses
Food safety and Management
New Product Development
Optimization of Chemical Process
Food Industry Waste and By-product Utilization
Advanced Technique in Food Preservation
Baking and Confectionary
Food quality and testing
MSME training programs
Students work independently as Consultant for Food Processing & Manufacturing companies.
- Food Technologist in Food Processing/ Manufacturing companies, Restaurants, Catering Companies, Institutional Catering, R&D, Healthcare and Food Research Labs
- Food safety officer
- Quality executive
- Food analyst
- Research Scientist
- Food Technology Consultant
- Food Research Laboratory Technician
- Managers / deputy managers in Food industries
Masters in Food technology
Food management and Entrepreneurship development
Food safety and Quality management
Moon Foods Pvt Ltd.
Sri Jayashree Food products
|S.No.||Name of the Industry||Purpose|
|1||Sakthi Sugars||In plant Training and Placement|
|2||Aavin Milk||Project work and Placement|
|3||Ponni sugars||Industrial Visit and Placement|
|4||Sakthi Masala||Quality control and Placement|
Celebration of World Food Safety Day
The Department of Food Technology, Excel Engineering College (Autonomous) organized an activity on “Alumni Interaction” on 24.08.2023 at A1-205 & Pavayammal Hall, Excel Engineering College, Namakkal District.
VENUE: FN – A1 – 205 & AN – Pavayammal Hall
NO. OF PARTICIPANTS: 100
CHIEF GUEST: FN – Ms. Sana Parwi & AN – Ms. Jismi Babu
On this program,
- Students understand the importance of HACCP level 3 certification and interview process in Food industries
- Students understand about the abroad opportunities and its roadmap
- Also, got insights opportunities in sea food industries
Further, Alumni motivated the juniors to do GATE and other competitive examinations as well as requested to concentrate more on Food Microbiology, Food Analysis laboratory and project.
NAGA LIMITED industry on 02.09.2023
The Department of Food Technology, Excel Engineering College (Autonomous) organized to visit NAGA LIMITED industry on 02.09.2023 (Saturday). This industrial visit will help us to learn about the basics of industries work and through this way, it will increase our industrial knowledge.
The following areas discussed among the students
Brief Introduction to different wheat based products
- GMP & GHP importance and its certification
- Quality Analysis of Raw materials of REP
- Visiting the Processing units and more explanation on extruder equipments and pneumatic conveying techniques based on products.
- Discussion on packaging equipments and selection of packaging materials for REP as well as visiting the packaging Equipments
|No of Student participants||:||46|
|No of Faculty participants||:||4|
Guest lecture on “Enhancing Health through Innovative Food Additives: Mechanisms and Research”
|Name of the Event||Activity|
|Event Timing||Afternoon : 1.30pm – 4.30pm|
|Year & Sem||II/III,III/V,IV/VII|
|Name of the topic||Enhancing Health through Innovative Food Additives: Mechanisms and Research”|
|Name of the Organizer||Dr. M P MURUGESAN
Ms. M. Kavya
|SI.NO||Year Attended||No of students attended|
Department of Food Technology organizing a seminar on “Enhancing Health through Innovative Food Additives: Mechanisms and Research” on august 22 in APJ hall for students and faculty members in activity session for half day (afternoon). The seminar focused on Enhancing Health through Innovative Food Additives. The session was carried out by Dr. J. PRAKASH MARAN from Periyar university. At the end of the session students are able to learn the different types of food additivies and their health benefits.
Workshop on “Innovation and Entrepreneurship as career opportunity”
Excel Engineering College Entrepreneurship Development Cell of food technology organized a workshop on “Innovation and Entrepreneurship as career opportunity” on this occasion. Chief Guests Mr. P. K. Jawahar Kumar, Mr. K. Manoj Kumar from department of MBA delivered role of innovation in emerging food industries and entrepreneurship opportunities to the participants. Also they shared their experience and current opportunities of entrepreneur to participants in the interactive session. Our students attended the Workshop enthusiastically in and clarified their doubts. The Coordinator Mr.S.Tharani, AP/FT have done all the needful arrangements for the successful conduct of the workshop.
SRET Publications Award 2023
Happy to inform Dr. M. P. Murugesan, Associate Professor, Department of Food Technology, Excel Engineering College received SRET Publications Award 2023
Millet challenges in design and development of innovative solutions to enhance the shelf life of the product
A workshop on “Millet challenges in design and development of innovative solutions to enhance the shelf life of the product” sponsored by the Board of Science and Engineering Research was held at the department of Food Technology, Excel college of Engineering, Namakkal on 20th and 21st April 2023.
“Seminar on “Design Thinking for Product Innovation”
VENUE: Smart class
NO. OF PARTICIPANTS: 29
CHIEF GUEST : G CHITHRA
The program was arranged by the Department of Food Technology, Mr. M. Raja Assistant Professor welcome the gathering and along with all the faculties and students of Food Technology Department. Our honorable chief guest G Chithra delivered a speech about Design Thinking for Product Innovation, providing us with a wealth of information and engaging in an interaction with the students. Furthermore, students get knowledge about design expert software.
On this program, students learned about the
- Comparative tests,
- Robust parameter design,
- Mixture designs and
- Combined designs
Seminar on “Food Safety Awareness”
VENUE: Paavayammal Hall
NO. OF PARTICIPANTS: 57
CHIEF GUEST : Dr. M. KARUPPAIYA
The program was arranged by the Department of Food Technology, Mr. M. Raja Assistant Professor welcome the gathering and along with all the faculties and students of Food Technology Department. Our honorable chief guest Dr. M. Karuppaiya delivered a speech about World Safety Day, providing us with a wealth of information and engaging in an interaction with the students. Furthermore, M. Reeba and S. Bharanika offered their speech about food safety awareness. The participants learned about the same and clarifying their doubts.
Chess programme, Paper crafts, Quiz programme, Photography competition, Drawing competition, Value added course (Online), Food Laboratory practices.
|Name of the Student||Roll No||Industry/company Name||Salary Package|
|1||ABHINAV P||19FDT001||Devadharshan Food Products, Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|2||AKSHAY KRISHNA S||19FDT004||Devadharshan Food Products, Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|3||ALTHAF K A||19FDT005||Paiyur Fruit Products
(P) LTD, Krishnagiri
|4||DEEPAK S||19FDT006||Amirtham Agro
Industries Private Limited Krishnagiri
|5||EBENESAR M||19FDT008||Pavithran Aseptic Fruit Product,
|6||HADHI KHANI||19FDT010||Amudha Aseptic Food Products, Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|7||HELEN JOSEPH||19FDT011||Amudha Aseptic Food Products, Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|8||JERIN JAISON||19FDT012||Ponni Agro Industries
Private Limited, Krishnagiri
|9||JISMI BABU||19FDT013||Devadharshan Food Products, Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|10||KIRAN SAJI||19FDT014||Pavithran Aseptic Fruit Product, Krishnagiri.||2 LPA|
|11||MEGHARAJ C.H||19FDT016||Ponni Agro Industries Private Limited,
|12||MUHAMMED ASHIQUE A T||19FDT017||Paiyur Fruit Products
(P) LTD, Krishnagiri
|13||MUHAMED MASHHOOD||19FDT020||Pavithran Aseptic
Fruit Product, Krishnagiri
|14||MUHAMMED FAYYAH MUHAMMED||19FDT021||Amirtham Agro Industries Private
|15||MUHAMMED HASSAN T||19FDT022||Pavithran Aseptic
Fruit Product, Krishnagiri
|16||MUHAMMED MUBASHIR A C||19FDT023||Amudha Aseptic Food Products, Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|17||NANTHAKUMAR R||19FDT024||Paiyur Fruit Products
(P) LTD, Krishnagiri
|18||NARMATHA.M .||19FDT025||Paiyur Fruit Products
(P) LTD, Krishnagiri
|19||NIYOG C M||19FDT026||Amirtham Agro Industries Private
|20||OMSAKTHI K||19FDT027||Amudha Aseptic Food Products, Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|21||PAVITHRA S||19FDT028||Shudh Cheese And
Dairy Products Pvt Ltd,Ooty.
|22||RIJUN RAJ P M||19FDT030||Amirtham Agro Industries Private Limited Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|23||SREELAKSHMI S||19FDT032||Devadharshan Food Products, Krishnagiri||2 LPA|
|24||SREERAG MOOLIYIL||19FDT033||Ponni Agro Industries Private Limited,
|25||WESLY JAMES||19FDT034||Vinu Food Products, Salem||2 LPA|