Educational Qualification : M.E.,Ph.D.
Teaching Experience : 20 Years
Industry Experience : Nil
The Food Technology programme aimed to serve the special need of providing high-quality manpower for the growing modern food industry. Recent years, Food Industry sector is one of the most fundamental and critical sectors in the growing economy.
The Department of Food Technology was established in 2018 which offers a UG programme (B.Tech) in Food Technology. The department integrates intellectual and infrastructural strengths to nurture scientific temper and skills to excel in the domains Food Technology. The department aims to educate, train and develop cutting-edge food technologists capable of product development and food safety to improve the quality of human life and environment. Also, the department aims to develop competent food technologists with their skills adequately honed to succeed in the Food Industry sectors.
We believe that this approach to teaching-learning, coupled with practical experience gained during industrial training in reputed organizations, equips our students to handle the challenges posed by the Food Industry.
Vision & Mission
Programs Outcomes & Objective
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
Program Educational Objectives describe the career and professional accomplishments in five years after graduation that the program is preparing graduates to achieve.
- To develop graduates with sound knowledge in the field of food engineering and technology by integrating engineering and basic sciences
- To produce competent graduates who shall pursue careers in the field of food processing, quality control, product development and techno-marketing
- To inculcate innovative ideas and project management skills in order to make them capable of growing into entrepreneurs
- To prepare graduates who will apply the technical knowledge and know-how to solve the problems related to food processing and preservation for the benefit of the society
Programme Outcomes (POs)
Program Outcome describe the knowledge, skills and attitudes the students should have at the end of a four year engineering program.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design / Development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods, including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling of complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions to societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
Program Specific Outcomes are statements that describe what the graduates of a specific engineering program should be able to do.
- To apply the knowledge of food chemistry, food preservation, food-processing and food packaging for the effective utilization of agricultural commodities to develop healthy and nutritious foods
- To apply the knowledge of food technology principles from the various aspects of food technology and related disciplines to solve practical and real-world problems
- To design economically feasible equipment for the modernization of traditional food processing methods
List of Laboratory
Bio-Food Practices Laboratory
Food microbiology laboratory
Food chemistry and nutrition laboratory
Food analysis laboratory
Unit operations laboratory
Food processing and preservation laboratory
Biochemical engineering laboratory
Fruits and vegetable processing technology laboratory
Baking and confectionary technology laboratory
Testing of packaging materials laboratory
Dairy process technology laboratory
Additional Labs for Advanced Learning
Technical Analysis lab
Value Added Courses
Food safety and Management
New Product Development
Optimization of Chemical Process
Food Industry Waste and By-product Utilization
Advanced Technique in Food Preservation
Baking and Confectionary
Food quality and testing
MSME training programs
Students work independently as Consultant for Food Processing & Manufacturing companies.
- Food Technologist in Food Processing/ Manufacturing companies, Restaurants, Catering Companies, Institutional Catering, R&D, Healthcare and Food Research Labs
- Food safety officer
- Quality executive
- Food analyst
- Research Scientist
- Food Technology Consultant
- Food Research Laboratory Technician
- Managers / deputy managers in Food industries
Masters in Food technology
Food management and Entrepreneurship development
Food safety and Quality management
Moon Foods Pvt Ltd.
Sri Jayashree Food products
|S.No.||Name of the Industry||Purpose|
|1||Sakthi Sugars||In plant Training and Placement|
|2||Aavin Milk||Project work and Placement|
|3||Ponni sugars||Industrial Visit and Placement|
|4||Sakthi Masala||Quality control and Placement|
Student Enrichment programme at NIFTEM- Thanjavur.
The Food Technology students of Excel Engineering college explored the “Agri and Dairy Fair” at Erode on 18.3.2022
Chess programme, Paper crafts, Quiz programme, Photography competition, Drawing competition, Value added course (Online), Food Laboratory practices.